Sunday, September 2, 2012

Unique Whisky

Warning : sunday hangover rant coming up :-)

The word unique is one of the often used words when trying to sell whisky

So often, that when I see it used, I know almost instantly that I won't buy the product

I have started to grow a dislike for the word. It's getting overused. It's a plain fact that every single cask of whisky in Scotland and whiskey in Kentucky is unique. And so are every vatting of these casks. So (almost) every bottle of whisky out there isn't more unique than the single cow beef steak you had for dinner last night.



It's not just whisky, it's used all over the spirit world. Here's a description of a vodka I came across today:

"The Swedish vodka lures drinkers with its unique taste, transparent color and modern bottle design. "

To me it tastes more or less as any other vodka (and don't get me started on it's colour, it's exactly the same as any other vodka)

But I am not that naive that anything will stop marketing to describe their products as unique. Or rare. Or limited.

I just wished these descriptors were used when they are really true. Like a bottle of Brora from 1972, a single cask Glenury Royal or a bourbon from Pennsylvania.

1 comment:

  1. Yup I agree completely Steffen! And do they honestly think we'll get excited over "transparent" vodka, ha ha ha!! Plain silly, and tiring all that fluff fluff trying to convince us to buy something just as unique as the next product. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete